Tactics for Kilimanjaro drilling

Well… I still have not 100% sure to bring what kind of drill system we should use upthere!!

So far I learned

1, gas powered percussion (hammer) drill is not good to bring, because under power even here in Fairbanks. When in to thin air (higher altitude), engine will start but no power (or decrease power significantly). That why “turbo” system for air plane but not my two stroke drill…

2. electric drill will be a good one for high altitude, or cold environment. But it’s not easy to charge battery, Solar panel, hand charger is not enough time to full charge.

3. Propane gas powered generator is available and good for cold region. But hard to get gas cylinder.

So, we try to test last several weeks. My best bit is using 1″ diameter diamond core tube with high speed rotation. This system is not require high torque as well as pressure. But most likely need water. It’s not just a little, we need a lot of water almost 1 litter per minute!! I try to use dry type which is not require water at Thompson Pass. This is best way up there. But it makes big vibration, it make break engine…

Rebuilding core tube!

Dry diamond core bit is ideal at Kilimanjaro, but a lot of vibration…

Small systems are in general, weak under power. It’s hard to operate gravelly condition.