Pribilof Islands -search for permafrost-

Cessna & Navajo air trip was ended yesterday! It was not cheap! but it was excellent trip to visit Island and very remote villages such as Chenaga Bay, Port Heiden…

(photo: beautiful village Chenega Bay at Prince William Sound)

(photo: Aleutian village Port Heiden, it looks like “ice wedge polygon” terrain (see Tunnel man episode 1), but these polygons were developed by cooling contraction cracking of the lava field.

I like island because I grew up the Island?! I do not know answer but it’s nice to see more different place. In general, island is remaining unique culture, ecosystem…

I could not make little Diomede this spring. Usually this time of the year, we have a ice runway on sea ice. But they could not make it as bad ice condition. so we will try next spring. So far we drilled and currently monitoring permafrost temperature at St. Lawrence Island, Nelson Island, and Nunivak Island (and also Shishmaref is island!). I was surprised Mekoryuk (Nunivak Is.) has  permafrost.

(photo:Mekoryuk, Nunivak Is. many permafrost mounds are found around the village)

So next target is Pribilof Islands!! I will visit for St. Paul this weekend to next week. UAF former professor Dave Hopkins reported periglacial features at St. George in 1966. Most likely no frozen on island but they may have some frozen ground?!  Stay tune… I will report it to you soon!